Doctors’ Health Articles
- beyondblue, National Mental Health Survey of Doctors and Medical Students. Melbourne, Victoria: beyondblue; Oct 2013. Available at: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/docs/default-source/research-project-files/bl1132–report—nmhdmss–full–report_web
- Shanafelt TD, Hasan O, Dyrbye LN, Sinsky C, Satele D, Sloan J, West CP. Changes in Burnout and Satisfaction with Work-Life Balance in Physicians and the General US Working Population between 2011 and 2014. Mayo Clin Proc. 2015; 90:1600-13.
- Expert Advisory Group on discrimination, bullying and sexual harassment. Report to the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons. Melbourne, Victoria: Royal Australasian College of Surgeons; Sept 2015. Available at: http://www.surgeons.org/media/22086656/EAG-Report-to-RACS-FINAL-28-September-2015-.pdf
- Wallace JE, Lemaire JB, Ghali WA. Physician wellness: a missing quality indicator. Lancet 2009; 374:1714-21.
- Bodenheimer T, Sinsky C. From triple to quadruple aim: care of the patient requires care of the provider. Ann Fam Med. 2014; 12:573-6.
- Henderson M, Brooks SK, Del Busso L, Chalder T, Harvey SB, Hotopf M, Madan I, Hatch S. Shame! Self-stigmatisation as an obstacle to sick doctors returning to work: a qualitative study. BMJ Open. 2012; 2:5.
- Frank E, Dresner Y, Shani M, et al. The association between physicians’ and patients’ preventive health practices. CMAJ 2013;185:649–53.
- Mata DA, Ramos MA, Bansal N, et al. Prevalence of depression and depressive symptoms among resident physicians: a systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA 2015;314:2373–83.
- Shanafelt TD, Noseworthy JH. Executive Leadership and Physician Well-being: Nine Organizational Strategies to Promote Engagement and Reduce Burnout. Mayo Clin Proc. 2017; 92(1):129-146.
- West CP, Dyrbye LN, Erwin PJ, Shanafelt TD. Interventions to prevent and reduce physician burnout: a systematic review and meta-analysis. 2016; 388:2272-81.
- Kolves K, De Leo D. Suicide in Medical Doctors and Nurses. J Nerv Ment Dis. 2013; 201(11): 987-990.
- Shanafelt TD et al. Addressing Physician Burnout. The Way Forward. 2017; 317(9): 901-902.
- McLindon E, Humphreys C, Hegarty K. “It happens to clinicians too”: an Australian prevalence study of intimate partner and family violence against health professionals. BMC Womens Health. 2018; 18(1):113.
- Center et al. Confronting Depression and Suicide in Physicians. A consensus Statement. 2003; JAMA; 289(23): 3161-3166.
- Nash L et al. Perceived practice change in Australian doctors as a result of medicolegal concerns. 2010; MJA; 193(10): 579-583.
- Nash L et al. Factors associated with psychiatric morbidity and hazardous alcohol use in Australian doctors. 2010; MJA; 193(3): 161-166.
- Nash L et al. Australian doctors’ involvement in medicolegal matters: a cross-sectional self-report study. 2009; MJA; 191(8); 436-440.
- Nash L et al. Psychological morbidity in Australian doctors who have and have not experienced a medico-legal matter: cross-sectional survey. Aust NZJ Psychiatry. 2007 Nov;41(11):917-25.
- Nash L, Tennant C, Watson M. The Psychological impact of complaints and negligence suits on doctors. Aust Psychiatry. 2004. 12(3); 278-281.
- For additional papers by Associate Professor Louise Nash go to: https://www.sydney.edu.au/medicine-health/about/our-people/academic-staff/louise-nash.html
MJA Insight articles by Prof Leanne Rowe (AM)
Authored/co-authored by DHQ team members.
Judkins S. and Colleagues. Wellbeing Charter for Doctors: righting wrongs. InSight. August 2021.
Ulcoq A. Supporting our trainees. AMAQ Doctor Q magazine. Winter 2021.
Kay M. I know to look after myself – I’m a doctor. O&G magazine. Winter 2020.
Mazzoni D (DHQ Management Committee). Maintain a healthy, balanced lifestyle. AMAQ Doctor Q magazine. May 2020.
Kay M, Dawes V. Connecting with compassion: ‘Not just a corridor consultation‘. AMAQ Doctor Q magazine. Sept 2019.
Giroldi E, Freeth R, Hanssen M, Muris JWM, Kay M, Cals JWL. Family Physicians managing medical requests from family and friends. Ann Fam Med. 2018; 16(1):45-51.
Burridge LH, Winch S, Kay M, Henderson AJ. Building compassion literacy: Enabling care in primary health care nursing. Collegian. 2017; 24:85-91.
Winch S, Henderson AJ, Kay M, Burridge LH, Livesay GJ, Sinnott MJ. Understanding compassion literacy in nursing through a clinical compassion cafe. J Contin Educ Nurs. 2014; 45(11):484-6.
Goiran N, Kay M, Nash L Haysom G. Mandatory reporting of health professionals: The case for a Western Australian style exemption for all Australian practitioners. Journal of Law and Medicine. 2014; 22:209-220.
Kay M. Do we over dramatize Family Physicians burn-out? Yes. Canadian Family Physician. 2012; 58(7):730-2.
Kay M, Mitchell G, Clavarino A, Frank E. (2011) “Developing a framework for understanding doctors’ health access: a qualitative study of Australian GPs.” Australian Journal of Primary Health;18:158-65.
Kay M, Mitchell G, Clavarino A. What doctors want? A consultation method when the patient is a doctor. Australian Journal of Primary Health. 2010; 16(1): 52-59
Kay M, Mitchell G, Clavarino A, Doust J. Doctors as Patients: a systematic review of doctors’ health access and the barriers they experience. British Journal of General Practice. 2008; 58(552): 501-508.
Kay M, Del Mar C, Mitchell G. (2005) Does legislation reduce harm to doctors who prescribe for themselves? Australian Family Physician. 2005; 34(1/2): 94-96.
Kay M, Mitchell G, Del Mar C. (2004) Doctors do not adequately look after their own physical health. Medical Journal of Australia; 181(7): 368-370.